When you suffer from acne, whether it’s a few spots on your chin or more than a few, all you want to do is discover the cause and do what you can to fix it. However, despite there being over 600 million acne sufferers around the globe, the cause of acne hasn’t been narrowed down to any one simple thing. Frustrating, we know!
It’s not from lack of trying; the scientific community continue to work on understanding and finding new ways to treat acne.
Here’s what we currently know:
- Genetics: Sorry guys, but acne is partly linked to genetics. If your mum, dad or siblings suffered from acne then you’re more likely to face problems at some point.
- Clogged pores: Everybody sheds skin cells and grows new skin, but for some of us the old skin cells don’t always flake away nicely and instead hang around and cause pores to get blocked. The skin’s oily secretions (sebum) and some bacteria can be trapped in these blocked pores.
- Sebum: Again, the skin is supposed to produce this oily secretion but the more it makes the more chance there is of it getting trapped in pores and promoting bacterial inflammation.
- Hormones: These biochemicals are essential for growth and development, but the surge of sex hormones at puberty can cause an increase in sebum production and growth of skin cells. For women, your monthly hormonal cycle can cause cyclic breakouts and pregnancy hormones can also cause issues. Stress hormones can have similar effects.
- High Glycaemic Index foods: More evidence is mounting that suggests high glycaemic index foods such as white bread, white rice, honey, cornflakes and watermelon may lead to increased sebum production.
What can you do?
While we don’t know the conclusive cause for acne, there is plenty you can do to help keep your skin healthy, nourished and clear.
- Take care of your inner health: Keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and maintain a balanced diet full of vitamins and minerals, fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains and lean protein.
- De-stress: We all worry to different levels, and for some to stop doing so may seem like an impossible goal. Take some time away from your worries by spending time on a hobby, sport or leisure activity that you enjoy. Spend time with friends, talk and generally be kind to others.
- Get your skincare routine in order!: Radiant, healthy and hydrated skin starts with a great daily skincare routine, and the Epiology 3 step system is one of the best ways you can soothe, smooth and nourish your skin.
- Start with the Anti-Acne Foaming Cleanser to prevent bacteria, remove oil and leave skin clean and smooth. Avoid using hot water when you wash your face as it can suck the moisture out of your skin.
- Next, nourish and hydrate your skin with our Advanced Anti-Acne Cream, clinically proven to prevent acne, improve skin clarity and reduce redness.
- If you need to tackle some specific spots, or can feel some hot spots coming through, use our Extra Strength Spot Gel which penetrates deeply to prevent the formation of pimples and reduce scarring.
- For best results, complete the routine two to three times each day. Consistency is key, as acne is not solved overnight. Luckily, Epiology is designed to be used long-term to prevent the spread of acne-causing bacteria.